Donnerstag, 18. Juni 2009

*Education Costs*

Though every state and school is different in Germany, compared to America, education costs in Germany rock because they are subsidized so heavily by the government. Some students complain about the rising costs, but I never could find it in myself to sympathize with those who pay $200 a semester.

Personally, I pay 90 Euros a semester, which is $1400-$1900 cheaper than I ever paid in Utah (and even that was smoking cheap.)

Then you have to take into account that students have what's called "BaFög" available--money from the government so they don't have to work while they study. The monthly amount goes up and down depending on how much their parents make and how many siblings are also studying. Although a certain percentage has to be paid back several years after the education is completed, that percentage cannot exceed 10,000 Euros.

A lot is expected of the students, so it's good that they can focus. So, the hardcore German college tests where you're expected to know EVERYTHING you MIGHT have read during the semester + subsidization = German education is amazing.

And, while I'm at it, happy 600th birthday to the University of Leipzig!!! How cool is it that I'm graduating this year?

3 Kommentare:

BlondeInFrance hat gesagt…

Yeah I'm pretty excited this French masters (if I ever get the acceptance letter, gah!) will cost me about 500€. Undergrad was close to $80,000, though I had some grants and loans and the parents, so total I'm paying is about 20,000, but still, OMG. And I went to a public school! France has a pretty good "bourse" system as well, which I'm not eligible for this year, but Ben is, so we'll only have to work like five or six hours a week. And eat lots of pasta, lol.

Amy hat gesagt…

But don't forget that the government never "pays" for anything. They just take money from some people and give it to other people. I'm sure the general German population is proud to be paying for your education.

Tikno hat gesagt…

However, education cost both in United States or Germany is higher than Indonesia.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...